The preliminary route of the Saimaa Cycle Tour is approximately 285 kilometres long, and the route starts and ends at Imatra. The easy route runs over asphalted roads through one of the most beautiful lake areas in the world. There are several service spots on the route: drinking and snack service stops are located every 30-40 kilometres, and the food service stops are located every 100 kilometres and at the finish.
The route has been designed by three-time road cycling Finnish Champion Juho Suikkari and the route is based on his training routes.
- The Saimaa Cycle Tour route starts at Imatra where you cross the flowing waters of the Imatra rapid
- In the beginning the route follows the Vuoksi river until it turns towards Ruokolahti municipality
- From Ruokolahti the route runs through vast forest areas and lakeland with beautiful views until it crosses the Puumala bridge and enters the heart of the Saimaa lakeland area
- From Puumala the route heads towards Sulkava through twisting roads with spectacular lake, forest and field scenery
- The route passes through Sulkava municipality and start its way towards Savonlinna through versatile forest and lake views
- In Savonlinna the route goes over several bridges and runs by lake Saimaa until it exits over Black Creek Bridge where you can see St. Olaf's Castle, the northernmost medieval castle in the world (you also have a possibility to take a break at the service point next to the castle)
- From Savonlinna the route passes through twisting roads toward Punkaharju area
- At Punkaharju the route enters the national landscapes of Punkaharju esker where the ridge road is flanked by lakes
- After Punkaharju the route will turn back towards Ruokolahti and go through vast forest areas
- On the return route passes the Ruokolahti church hill and dam road towards Imatra
- At Imatra the route meets the Vuoksi river again and goes across the river to the finish line